Enrollment Information for Portage Public Schools
Portage enrolls students year-round. During the school year, please visit your school to enroll. During the summer with elementary and middle schools closed, you may enroll at the Administration Building located at 8107 Mustang Drive, Portage MI 49002.
First-Time Young 5s/Kindergarten Student
• Portage Public Schools operates within a neighborhood schools model as defined by the geographical boundaries established at the district level. Families should expect, and are required, to enroll their children in the school(s) corresponding with their resident address. Not sure which school your child is scheduled to attend? Click here to check out our Street Guide.
• School Readiness Parent Meetings were held at each of our elementary schools on Thursday, March 2. If you missed this meeting and have questions, please contact your neighborhood school or call 269-323-5000.
• Portage Public Schools has decided to make a change in how new Kindergarten and Young 5s students will be placed. Beginning with the 2017-18 school year, the district is moving away from School Readiness Screenings for student placement and instead implementing the practice of placing students in either Kindergarten or Young 5s according to their birthday. This change will align PPS with the State of Michigan kindergarten age cutoff. It also reflects a thorough review of historical enrollment trend data and district administrator, teacher and parent input.
• Students who turn 5 by September 1, 2017, will be placed in Kindergarten.
• Students who turn 5 between September 2 and December 1, 2017, will be placed in Young 5s.
Students turning 5 between September 2 and December 1 should contact their school to complete the K/Y5 waiver to be eligible for enrollment. If parents have questions or concerns regarding their student's developmental needs or placement, they should contact their school principal.
Does your child turn 5 after December 1? Click Here for information on our early childhood education options.
New/Recently moved to Portage
• Portage Public Schools operates within a neighborhood schools model as defined by the geographical boundaries established at the district level. Families should expect, and are required, to enroll their children in the school(s) corresponding with their resident address. Not sure which school your child is scheduled to attend? Check out our Street Guide above.
Here is what you need to get your student started at PPS. The following materials are required to enroll:
Enrolling a New Student
___ Student Enrollment Form
___ Copy of Birth Certificate - Original must be verified
___ Proof of Residency - utility bill, rental/purchase agreement/property tax bill. We cannot accept a driver's license or voter registration card.
___ Immunization Records - click here for immunization information
___ Signed Concussion Awareness Form (haga clic aquí para español)
___ Internet User Agreement
___ Transfer of Student Record Request - Only if transferring from another school
___ Transportation Request Form - if student will be riding the bus
___ Special Education Services Form - only if your student has an IEP. Call 323-5010 to begin transferring your student's records/services
___ Hearing and Vision Screening - for Young 5 and Kindergarten only
___ Most recent report card - for high school students only
The State of Michigan’s Schools of Choice program is an elective program. Portage Public Schools has elected to participate only with the 105c Schools of Choice program for out-of-county residents. However, there is still an opportunity to enroll in Portage Public Schools using our District Transfer Program.
For more information, please click here to the link to the Portage Public Schools Transfer Program