District Employee Student Transfer Program (PA227)
If you are a Portage Public Schools employee, under Public Act 227 you may request that your child(ren) attend the PPS District, without requiring a release from your resident district. At Portage we like to support all our staff and families, but please be aware that these requests still must be granted approval to attend.
Also, please keep in mind that PA227 grants acceptance to attend a district, not a specific school within the district. That decision will be determined by the district, while keeping the family’s request in mind.
PA227 Transfer Process
- Complete our 2017/18 Non-Resident Transfer Application
- Under PA227, a release from the resident district is NOT required.
- If approved;
- The placement will be considered permanent through graduation. Therefore, on the application you will be required to indicate which building pathway you’d like your student to follow while in Portage (selecting the Elementary, Middle, and High School you’d like your student to attend).
- The student will be expected to attend school regularly and on-time
- The student will be expected to abide by the Student Code of Conduct.
*The school/district reserves the right to take formal action to rescind a student’s transfer due to circumstances such as poor attendance, inappropriate behavior, or declining academic performance.
As an employee of the district, your school/building assignment is subject to change. However, to maintain continuity of your child’s education, the school placement/pathway will remain as indicated in the approval letter regardless of your placement within the district. Should your employment status change, your child will be expected to attend your resident district.