District Employee Student Transfer Program (PA227)
If you are a Portage Public Schools employee residing out of district, under Public Act 227 you may request that your child(ren) attend the PPS District, without requiring a release from your resident district. The PA227 transfer program grants acceptance to the District, but not a specific school. Family preference is considered, but placement is determined by the District.
If you live in the PPS District and would like to request attendance at a school other than your boundary-assigned school, please complete our 2019/20 In-District Transfer Application.
PA227 Transfer Process (for non-resident PPS staff)
- Complete our Non-Resident Transfer Application. Transfer applications for 2nd semester of the current school year have now closed. Families of continuing students should email [email protected] for further information.
- Under PA227, a release from the resident district is NOT required.
- If approved:
- The placement will be considered permanent through graduation. Therefore, on the application you will be required to indicate which building pathway you’d like your student to follow while in Portage (selecting the Elementary, Middle, and High School you would like your student to attend).
- The family will be required to coordinate their own transportation.
- The student will be expected to attend school regularly and on time.
- The student will be expected to abide by the Student Code of Conduct.
The school/district reserves the right to take formal action to rescind a student’s transfer due to circumstances such as poor attendance, inappropriate behavior, or declining academic performance.
As an employee of the district, your school/building assignment is subject to change. However, to maintain continuity of your child’s education, the school placement/pathway will remain as indicated in the approval letter regardless of your placement within the district. Should your employment status change, and you would like your child to remain in the District, you will need to apply using a different transfer program.