///In-District Student Transfer Program
In-District Student Transfer Program 2017-07-20T15:45:57+00:00

In-District Student Transfer Program

In regard to school enrollment and school attendance, Portage Public Schools operates within a neighborhood schools model as defined by the geographical boundaries established at the district level.  Families should expect, and are required, to enroll their children in the school(s) corresponding with their resident address.

A transfer request to attend a school outside of a resident’s boundary will only be considered for unusual circumstances and cases of family hardship which make it difficult for a the family to attend their assigned school.

Furthermore, parents should be aware that transitioning from one school to another is often problematic for children and parents.  Research indicates that both academic performance and student behavior are often adversely impacted by transitions.  Therefore, Portage Public Schools strongly discourages transfers from an existing school unless all other means of resolving issues in the currently-attended school have been exhausted.  As Portage Public Schools has a high rate of success when partnering with parents to resolve issues, such transfers are rare.

In-District Transfer Process

  1. Verify that you live in the Portage Public School district by checking attendance boundaries.
  2. Complete our 2017/18 In-District Transfer Application
  3. If approved:
    • The family will not need to reapply for the duration of time in which the student remains at that school, unless a move or building-level change takes place.
    • The family will be required to coordinate their own transportation
    • The student will be expected to attend school regularly and on-time
    • The student will be expected to abide by the Student Code of Conduct.

*The school/district reserves the right to take formal action to rescind a student’s transfer due to circumstances such as poor attendance, inappropriate behavior, or declining academic performance.  A parent may also request to rescind a previously approved transfer, but it must be submitted in writing and requires district approval if the request is made during the school year.