///Out of County Student Transfer Program (105c)
Out of County Student Transfer Program (105c)2018-09-06T16:24:39+00:00

Out-of-County Student Transfer Program (105c)

Portage Public Schools participates with the State of Michigan Schools of Choice 105c Program and operates under an open enrollment period.  This means the District accepts all students that apply during the enrollment window that qualify under the 105c state program. Families who qualify include those which reside in any district serviced by one of the following counties: Allegan Area ESA, Barry ISD, Calhoun ISD, Lewis Cass ISD, St. Joseph ISD, or Van Buren ISD. Please note that you may live in one county, but be serviced by another.

Schools of Choice 105c (Out-of-County) Transfer Process

  1. Verify that the district in which you reside is serviced by a contiguous ISD/ESA to KRESA.
  2. Complete the Out-of-County Transfer Application.
    • Portage Public Schools is no longer accepting applications for NEW students to begin the 2018/19 SY. If you are a CURRENT family attending a Portage school, but recently moved and would like to continue at your current school, you will be considered for an immediate continuance. Contact [email protected] for assistance.
  3. A release from the resident district is NOT required so long as the application is submitted during the open enrollment window.
  4. If approved:
    • The placement will be considered permanent through graduation. Therefore, on the initial application you will be required to indicate which building pathway you’d like your student to follow while in Portage (selecting the Elementary, Middle, and High School you would like your student to attend).
    • The family will be required to coordinate their own transportation.
    • The student will be expected to attend school regularly and on-time.
    • The student will be expected to abide by the Student Code of Conduct.
  5. Please wait until a decision letter is received to complete the online registration process.
  6. If the student has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or develops the need for an IEP once attending, a cooperative agreement between PPS and the district of residence regarding the services and associated costs will need to be developed.  If an agreement cannot be made between the two districts, the student will be expected to attend/return to the district of residence.

If your residence qualifies your student for a 105c transfer, but you  miss the open enrollment window, you can still apply using the Non-Resident Transfer Process, then reapply for a 105c transfer during the next available open enrollment window.