Among the common characteristics of successful IB candidates are:
· A broad interest in all countries, cultures, beliefs and customs
· An ability to articulate information, both orally and in writing
· An ability to reason, (i.e., see relationships, draw conclusions, deduce, etc.)
· A willingness to participate in discussion and to work responsibly with others
· A broad range of interests beyond the classroom
· A commitment to service
· Good attendance and work habits.
The IBO states emphatically that the IB Diploma Program is not necessarily for the most able students, but for the most motivated students. Motivation, commitment, and self-discipline are the common traits of many successful IB candidates.